Sunday, June 14, 2015

words with real bishes : bijou

kreativity rules everything around me

welcome to the next install of words with real bishes. this is an interview platform for every day grown black women. because you, baby are a star! are you grown and fabulous? are you holding it down with grace and fortitude? do you believe that cookie monster will save us all? are you about that life? got something to say? then please, email me here and let's chat.

today we have the honor of interviewing bijou, aka bijou m. kream. she's a senior development associate for youthspeaks.org, a businesswoman, and hardcore fashionista. a young renaissance sister of our time.  check out her website here.

hey girl!

hey girl!

mslisa: so tell me how we met?

bijou: we met through my fabulous sister dimitrua. i remember one valentine's day we were all single and we went to a tiki bar. that was cool. (i enjoyed) hanging out and getting all up in your fabulous aura,

mslisa:  you're too sweet! thank you. where were you born and raised?

bijou: i was born and raised in east oakland, ca.

mslisa: i think of you as quite the go-getter. between your work at youthspeaks, your eye wear line, and work as a stylist, how do you do all that? tell me a bit about what drives you?

bijou: what drives me the most is i hate being bored. i'm always doing something with my hands, making stuff. for now i'm juggling multiple things. it's hard work and tiring, but i know one day i'll be boss lady millionaire kream! 

mslisa: outstanding! next, i want to ask you about relationships with men of different races. i agree with missy : 'black, white, puerto rican, chinese boys'! how do you feel about this personally?

bijou: (giggles) : i'm all for it! i'm an equal opportunity dater. i don't think race matters as much. having a spiritual connection with someone that treats you well are the most important things.  i think people in the south would disagree with me.

mslisa :  why do you say that?

bijou: it's more segregated in the south. people are a bit ignorant about getting together. there's definitely a boundary there.

mslisa: do you think that's because of slavery?

bijou: definitely. the south was built on the backs of black people. because of its history there's a lot of distrust of white people there. folks tend to keep it separate.

mslisa: you're going to the afropunk festival this summer, what inspired you to check it out?

bijou: well, i was planning an epic trip for my birthday. some friends told me about this cool festival happening in brooklyn and i was like 'yeah! let's do it'. so, i got my little crew together and we're going. d'angelo was there last year...he's hella fine! i figured i have to go at least once in my life.

mslisa: who is an inspiration to you as a black woman?

bijou: the women in my family inspire me. i know a lot of people look up to celebrities or whatever, but the women in my family are fabulous. they're classy, loving, supportive, and down to earth. particularly my grandmother. the resilience the women of her generation had as women of color, is an inspiration to me.

 mslisa: tell me about your eye wear line, millionaire kream.

bijou: my eye wear consists of frames and accessories. most of the materials are hand-picked. each pair is unique and a limited edition.  the last line i put out was the roma collection. it was inspired by a trip i took to italy with my sister.  every pair has a name after a city we visited or a roman god.

mslisa: that's fabulous! what influences your personal style?

bijou : my style is not influenced by trendy fashion. that's just not cost effective!  for me, my big thing is thrifting, especially things from the 1980s. i like to rock what i like, which is usually black with a pop of color. i also love accessories. i love vintage, chunky chains and big earrings.

mslisa: how do you feel about your generation today?

bijou: i feel like my generation is one of the last generations that are real.  i mean, we played outside until the street lights went on, we respected our elders, and got an ass-whoppin if we didn't. we had real library cards. i think young people born in the 1990s didn't experience any of that with the changes in technology.

mslisa: things are quite complex for us in our society. how do you cope with being a young black woman in america ?

bijou:  i think the most important thing is to stay true to myself;  to remember my upbringing and my roots. being a young woman of color, we're often bombarded with images of an ideal we don't fit; that we don't look a certain way. i don't struggle with those issues because of the values i was raised with. i've always seen the beauty in who i am.

mslisa : thank you so much for talking with me today.

bijou: girl, thank you!

No comments: